Portugal captain Cristiano Ronaldo and Manchester United have reached a mutual agreement to part ways with immediate effect.
This follows the former Real Madrid explosive interview with Piers Morgan released last week.
United issued a statement on Tuesday evening announcing they had reached a mutual agreement with the 37-year-old.
Ronaldo’s interview on TalkTV with Piers Morgan saw him criticise the club and manager Erik ten Hag. He said the manager has no respect for him and vice versa.
He also claimed members of the United hierarchy are trying to force him out of Old Trafford. Went on to accuse them of doubting him when he said he could not attend pre-season because his daughter was ill in hospital.
The club said they would consider their response to Ronaldo’s comments after the full facts have been established. It appears as if they have now decided to part ways with the five-time Ballon d’Or winner.
WHAT MANCHESTER UNITED SAYS
“Cristiano Ronaldo is to leave Manchester United by mutual agreement, with immediate effect,” a club statement read.
“The club thanks him for his immense contribution across two spells at Old Trafford, scoring 145 goals in 346 appearances, and wishes him and his family well for the future.
“Everyone at Manchester United remains focused on continuing the team’s progress under Erik ten Hag and working together to deliver success on the pitch.”
Ronaldo rejoined United last year but he had fallen out of favour this season under Erik ten Hag.
CRISTIANO RONALDO STATEMENT
Ronaldo also issued his own statement on Tuesday.
“Following conversations with Manchester United we have mutually agreed to end our contract early.
“I love Manchester United and I love the fans, that will never ever change. However, it feels like the right time for me to seek a new challenge.