The case against convicted murderer and rapist Thabo Bester has been postponed to 16 May 2023 in the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court for further investigations. Bester’s request to address the court was denied. This is after he raised concerns about feeling unsafe and fearing that he could be poisoned.
Bester and his partner, Dr Nandipha Magudumana, were extradited to South Africa on Thursday morning after being detained in Arusha, Tanzania.
He escaped from the Mangaung Correctional Facility in the Free State in May of last year. He is facing a slew of charges, including escaping lawful custody. Defeating the ends of justice, violating a dead body, and fraud.
During the appearance in court, Bester’s lawyer revealed that the convict had not eaten in 24 hours. He is being kept in custody in the maximum-security section of Kgosi Mampuru II Prison in Pretoria.
“The accused hasn’t eaten since he was incarcerated. He is afraid to eat the food provided by this very same institution,” said his legal representative.
CASE POSTPONED TO MAY 2023
“The accused also requested that he be provided food preferably by this legal team. Which he actually trusts to represent him. I just need to bring it to the court’s attention that the accused has raised concerns for his safety,” he said.
It was also added that Bester wanted to be furnished with his extradition documents, confirming he does not have a South African ID.
Meanwhile, all the accused, including Magudumana and her father, Cornelius Sekeleni, will appear in the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court on Monday.
Photo supplied: Chriselda Lewis