Limpopo Health MEC, Dr Phophi Ramathuba on Friday issued an update on the 8-year-old girl who is the only survivor of the tragic Bus accident on Thursday. 45 people died in a bus crash near Mamatlakala when the Bus transporting people from Botswana to Moria crashed at the Mmamatlakala bridge on the R518.

It is alleged that the driver lost control and collided with barriers on the bridge. It fell into a gorge and caught fire.

ALSO READ: Limpopo bus crash claims 45 Lives, leaving sole survivor

The citizens of Botswana were enroute to ZCC St. Engenas for the annual pilgrimage. The 8-year-old girl was the only survivor of the horrific accident while another passenger died on their way to the Hospital.

Dr Ramathuba on Friday briefed the High Commissioner of Botswana to South Africa, Her Excellency, Dr. Sanji Monageng and DIRCO Deputy Director General responsible for Africa, Ambassador Tebogo Seokolo.

The delegation also visited the 8-year-old girl in Hospital. Some of the families of the victims were also present at the briefing.

MEC Dr Phophi Ramathuba issues update on Limpopo Bus Accident
Limpopo Bus Accident Wreckage


“Condolences to the families and the people of Botswana,” she told the media.

“It’s quite a sad day for us. Since yesterday we have not slept as well. What we can confirm from the Department of Health which is part of the multidisciplinary teams from different sector departments in the province is that working from the number 45 which was the alternary according to the owners of the bus. From our side as a Department always depends on the number of bodies that are retrieved from the scene.

“What we can confirm is that indeed we have an 8-year-old who has survived. [She] was taken to the nearest hospital, stabilized and transferred to a regional hospital,” added Dr Ramathuba.

“We also received nine identifiable bodies that we can be able to confirm. What will happen with the nine bodies is that postmortem are going to be conducted. We will then be able to release them to their loved ones and to the government of Botswana.”